How Does Link Building Help SEO?
Every online business out there needs to learn the basics of building quality links for SEO, but many business owners are rather rusty on their terminology and are always asking ‘how does link building help SEO’?
While it’s a good idea to have a solid digital marketing team working your corner and making your website stand at the top of the search rankings, you need to have a basic understanding of link building and what it can do for your business.
What Is Link Building?
To put it very simply, link building is the process of getting other websites of interest and relevance to link back to your company website. It’s all very simple in the idea behind it, but it’s not an easy thing to manage in practice – unless you know what you’re doing.
All marketing teams should be working with business owners to create links and drive referral traffic. This leads to increased ROI and site authority, too.
Why Build Links?
Google has algorithms that are complicated and consistently updating, but the one thing that has yet to change is the importance of backlinks when it comes to where every search engine will rank your business.
Search engines determine which site ranks and for which keywords, so it’s in your interest to ensure that your site has the correct links pointing to it.
It’s one of the many SEO tactics that is used because Google is signalled by those links to show the world that your website is one that is worthy of being at the top of the search results pages. The more backlinks you have, the higher your SEO rankings – and this matters!
Long-Term Website Viability
There are a right and a wrong way to build links to your site; if you get it wrong, it can be a big problem for your business.
You need to think about the long-term for your website. If you care about your website in this way – and your business – then you should be focusing on natural link building methods. This means that you earn the links rather than purchase them, making them as white-hat as they can be!
However, no one said that building natural backlinks was easy. It’s actually rather difficult and it takes up a lot of time – which is the reason for hiring a dedicated marketing team or outsourced expert to work alongside you to get what you need from your backlink efforts.
Not every link out there is equal to the next, so you have to consider how you link to your website so that you have a good impact on your rankings on the SERP.
Why You Need To Build Links For SEO
Webmasters can improve their website rankings by increasing the number of high-quality websites that link to their pages.
Link building plays a big part in how Google ranks web pages – it is still the most influential ranking factor – and the higher up the rankings, the better your visibility to consumers. The better your visibility, the more traffic your website gets from Google searches and the better ROI you will receive.
It’s a big chain reaction and it all comes down to how visible you want to be, to drive more traffic to your website.
You need to think about why SEO link building is important for your business, and there are several key factors to support your link building strategy:
- You have to use links that have high trust ratings and good authority.
- The SEO and content optimisation present on the respective sites needs to be checked.
- The anchor text on those links has to be strong enough for people to want to go and click on them (carrying out keyword research can be a worthwhile exercise here).
The most important thing? Google themselves say that you are more likely to have your content ranking highly in terms of keywords if you can get those external sites to link to yours.
Three Ways To Get Outsiders To Link To You
Link building is all about strategy, and these three ways can help you to get third-party websites to link to you:
- Create some of the catchiest, most compelling high-quality content around. Hire a fantastic copywriter to work for you, if you are not confident in writing yourself, and make it so that your content is something that people naturally want to reference (a blog post or a guest post can be ideal for this.
- Include reviews and testimonials on your site. If you put your service front and centre on your website, with real opinions from real people attached, you’re going to influence more people out there.
- You can get some organic links really quickly simply by asking people that you know, especially friends and family. Relevance matters though, so don’t just obtain random links that have no value or relevance at all. Obtaining a high-quality good link from a relevant website that is in the same niche as you is far likelier to be valuable.
It can take some time to build your links but have some patience because you need to do it properly and ensure that it’s all above board. Buying links? Big no-no to the Google guys and you can end up blacklisted for it. It’s not worth the risk, so don’t take the chances.
Internal Link Building
You can improve your search engine rankings with internal link building. It’s an easy and underrated way to build links into your pages, and you have a few factors that you would need to consider:
- Quality of the linking page is so important – as search engines allow the links from high quality and trusted pages to count more in rankings than the questionable ones.
- Anchor text really counts because the search engine will take into account the actual text that a page uses to talk about your content.
- When people talk about your business, they will typically link to your homepage, making it harder for inner pages to get those necessary high rankings.
Having a solid link building campaign is important for your business website, and you should consult with your marketing team to ensure that you get your link building techniques right.
If you don’t already have a marketing team, or your marketing team needs support in this area, get in touch with Improve Position and let our outreach specialists take your business to the next level with our SEO packages.